Focus & Goals
Since its formation in 2011, the Central Texas Water Coalition (CTWC) has been working to:
- Ensure continued economic viability for the Highland Lakes region through the protection of drinking water supplies and the tourism industry.
- Identify and encourage policies and practices that will protect the lakes and the environment as precious and endangered natural resources.
- Build support for a consensus-based Water Management Plan to govern LCRA’s management of surface water under its state-issued water rights.
- Foster smart water use and conservation throughout the Lower Colorado River Basin.
- Promote the transparency and accountability of all water-related agencies or bodies.
- Identify and promote the development of new water supply resources.
- Emphasize the use of current scientific information on lake inflows, firm yield, climatology, hydrology, and water usage, to ensure that sound, fact-based decisions guide water management policies.
- Coordinate with local, state, and national elected officials and agencies on water and lake issues and their critical role in protecting the future of Central Texas and the State.
- Engage other firm water customers to address historical inequities in water planning, management, and pricing.
- Encourage all agriculture producers to use the best available technology to increase water efficiency and reduce overall water use.
- Broaden the base of support by aligning the CTWC with like-minded organizations, coalitions, and agencies.
- Raise funds for educational and advocacy efforts to advance regulatory and legislative policies that support responsible water management.